Try to think about a color that has the most positive impact on you and how it increases productivity. If you are responsible for choosing the most suitable color for office environments or your home, you should be aware of the effect of each color on people’s behavior. Which colors increase concentration and productivity? On the other hand which colors cause that you do not want to spend long time in a certain environment?
This article is about Color Psychology and it will explain effects of different colors on human behavior.
The basic division of colors is into warm and cool colors. Colors in the red area of the color spectrum are known as warm colors and include red, orange and yellow. If you want a room that conveys energy and cheerfulness, and encourages social interaction, warm colours are the right choice of the interior paint. However, these colours also evoke feelings of anger and hostility. For example red clothing might not help people in negotiations or confrontations. Furthermore, when considering use of warm colors in your office or house, you should know that warm colors also increase alertness and to some extent they could be overwhelming. Therefore, people tend to spend less time in a room that is red than in one that is blue. Warm colors are therefore suitable for non-production areas like entrances, corridors and locker rooms.
Colors on the blue side of the spectrum are known as cool colors and include blue, purple and green. They are psychologically soothing and tend to create calm and quiet mood and encourage concentration. That is the reason why cool colors are mostly picked as the interior paint for production areas, maintenance shops and can make a reception appear spacious and welcoming.
1. Blue color – people are more productive in blue rooms. Blue stimulates workers to a higher performance. What is interesting is that blue clothing is recommended to job interviews because it symbolizes loyalty.
2. Green color – green symbolizes nature and it helps to evoke relaxed mood. It is currently the most popular decorating color. Thus the backstage rooms where actors are waiting to appear on TV or on stage are painted with green color, as it calms the nerves and people are more relaxed.
3. White color – white is popular in decorating because it is light, neutral, and matches with everything. White areas seem more spacious, reflect more light and usually give people optimistic mood. Therefore white and other light colors are used in production areas, small rooms and hallways. White is the symbol of cleanliness and sterility, thus it is used in hospitals and various medical centres.
4. Red color – the most emotionally intense color that stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. Red is recommended by decorators as the ideal color of furniture since it attracts attention.
5. Yellow color – yellow is considered as optimistic color that enhances concentration, however it is too bright for the eye to be taken in. People lose their temper more often in yellow rooms.
Your painting contractor can help you to dial in a color to achieve the effect and environment you are seeking.
Taken from article on Moredays.com, April 2014.